St. Jude's Anglican Home

St. Jude's Anglican Home

Since its inception, the focal point of the Home has been the "Old House" at the corner of 27th Ave. and Willow St.

  • 1948 (May 19) - St. Judes's Anglican Home was established as a non-profit society to provide room and board in a Christian home for "elderly ladies of limited means"
  • 1948 (September) - St. Judes's Anglican Home opened under society's operation, Margaret Steel was the first Superintendent.
  • 1948 (up to 1968) - St. Jude's Women's Auxiliary provided domestic administration, fundraising, visiting and entertainment services)
  • 1957 - 27 bed care wing added
  • 1961 - Acquisition and modification of adjacent home, adding 9 beds-Elizabeth Eccott Haven(Geoffrey Eccott, Board President; Elizabeth Eccott, Ways and Means Coordinator)
  • 1967 - Construction of an activities lounge(Murrin Lounge)
  • 1970 - Replacement of original annex of the old house with 23-bed care wing
  • 1985 - After exploring a number of alternatives, Board decides to focus redevelopment program of building on providing care for seniors with higher care needs.
  • 1990 - 62 residents and staff moved to Clarendon Court after fire and safety upgrading.
  • 1991 (September) - Entire site reconstructed to encompass old house-present 53 beds, 27 bed Special Care Unit(E. Eccott Haven). Address changed to 810 West 27th Avenue.
  • 1996 - Main Floor and SCU Interior design work. First Accreditation from Canadian Council on Health Services Accreditation
  • 1997 - Air conditioning installed
  • 2000 - Special Care Unit resident kitchen and deck garden, the Serenity Garden, built.
  • 2006 - New Kitchen installed.
  • 2007 (June) - Award from Health Employers of BC-“Excellence in BC Healthcare Awards-Healthy Workplace”
  • 2008 - 60th Anniversary, A Legacy of Caring Since 1948
  • 2011 - New Nurse Call System Installed